By developing plasma deposited coatings on textile and polymer materials, with a controllable release of the antibacterial agents, Plasmatex will answer to the need of the medical and health sector for effective antibacterial wound dressings.
- The project is focusing on the development of a new technology for antibacterial coating deposition on textiles and polymers for medical applications
- The method includes plasma deposition of
- a first layer of antibacterial coating containing Ag nano-particles
- a second “barrier” layer of 5-50 nm on top.
- The second layer deposition provides a precise way to control the antibacterial effect associated with presence of Ag in the coatings.
The formation of biofilms on material surface is a main reason of infection and transfer of nosocomial diseases.
- companies developing plasma technology
- textile companies
- plastics companies
Research Unit Plasma Technology, Department of Applied Physics Ghent University, Belgium in cooperation with Centexbel, Research Unit Textile Functionalisation & Surface Modification