The CELFI trajectory aims to efficiently develop, produce, apply and recylce WPC (Wood Plastic Composites), the most important product group in the family of plastics reinforced by CELlulosic FIbres.
The increasing interest in and annual growth with over 10% of these thermoplastic composites in Europe is explained by the very interesting combination of raw materials “thermoplastics - wood fibre” and the vast applicability in numerous domains.
Advantages of wood-fibre reinforced thermoplastics:
- improved material properties
- interesting price compared to other composites
- natural “wood” look
- sustainable (biobased, low C-footprint)
- easy recycling
However, a lot of companies are still not or insufficiently informed about the different WPC producing techniques, about the applied raw materials and auxiliaries and about the application fields of these materials.
- Celfi promotes and supports the development, production, application and recycling of WPC by means of TECHNOLOGICAL CONSULTANCY about raw materials and auxiliaries, standards, test methods, application and assembling techniques related to WPC, about various application fields, including construction, furniture, decoration, transport, packaging and toys, and about recycling techniques and materials.
- WPC are materials that can be optimized and improved by APPLICATION-ORIENTED RESEARCH. More in particular, the crimp and burning behaviour, processeability and ageing can be improved in the field of structural construction applications with a high longevity.
Joint initiative of Centexbel-VKC, the Flemish Plastics Centre and wood.be, the Technical Centre for the Wood Industry.
Project financed by Vlaio No. 145005