The future of Europe’s textile and clothing industry will be built on its existing strengths (1) creativity in design and product development, (2) innovation in materials and processes, (3) flexibility in production and supply chain management and (4) quality of products and services.
The Technology Platform is based on three pillars, which at the same time represent the three crucial elements of a long-term VISION which will exploit these strengths while at the same time benefiting from general societal and economical trends.
- A move from commodities towards specialty products from high-tech processes along the entire value chain from fibres to final products with highly functional, purpose-targeted properties
- The establishment and expansion of textiles as material of choice in many sectors and application fields (transport systems, construction, energy & environment markets, protective & medical applications, consumer electronics…).
- A move towards a new industrial era characterised by customisation, personalisation, as well as flexible, on-demand production coupled with intelligent logistics, distribution and services.
This three-fold vision, widely shared by industry and the scientific community, encompasses all 3 crucial industrial innovation elements of (1) materials, processes and technology, (2) products and markets and (3) organisation and management. It also fully applies to all three major sub-sectors of this industry; clothing and fashion, interior and home textiles as well as textiles for technical applications.
In order to ensure the long-term competitiveness of the European Textile and Clothing industry and to reinforce the position of Europe as a leading global player in the development and manufacturing of fibres, textiles, textile-based products and apparel, the European Technology Platform for the Future of Textiles and Clothing pursues the following key objectives:
- Organisation of an effective European-wide expert network involving industry, research organisations, public authorities, financial institutions and other stakeholders to join forces and coordinate their efforts in the field of research, development and innovation to the benefit of the European Textile and Clothing Industry.
- Definition of a common industrial strategies and implementation of a Strategic Research Agenda(SRA) through targeted collaborative research, technology development and innovation efforts within the textile sector and in cooperation with related industries.
- Development of structures and measures to improve the overall research, development and innovation framework conditions of this industrial sector focussing specifically but not exclusively on the removal of financial, educational, legal and regulatory obstacles.
Overall the European Technology Platform for the Future of Textiles and Clothing will remain focussed on an allocation of its resources to the most promising fields of R&D and innovation action to ensure long-term industry competitiveness to the benefit of economic growth, jobs and sustainable development in Europe. It will continue to operate in an open and transparent way inviting every organisation and individual interested in research, development and innovation across Europe to join its activities.