EN 71:2 specifies the categories of flammable materials which are prohibited in all toys, and the requirements concerning flammability certain toys have to meet when exposed to a small source of ignition. This European Standard includes general requirements relating to all toys and specific requirements and test methods relating to toys that are considered to present the greatest hazards, including:
- toys to be worn on the head (hats, moustaches, beards, masks, wigs, etc.)
- toy disguise costumes and toys intended to be worn by a child in play;
- toys intended to be entered by a child;
- soft-filled toys.
The following materials shall not be present in toys:
- celluloid (cellulose nitrate), except when used in varnish, paint or glue, or in balls of the type used for table tennis or similar games
- highly flammable solids
- materials with a piled surface which produce surface flash when a flame is applied to the tested material.
- toys shall not contain flammable gases, extremely flammable liquids, highly flammable liquids, flammable liquids and flammable gels
Toys to be worn on the head
The requirements apply to:
- beards, moustaches, wigs, made from pile or flowing elements
- hats, hoods, headdresses, etc.
When a product incorporates several features, for example a hat with an attached mask and hair, each part shall be tested separately to the applicable clause relevant to that particular part of the toy.
- When tested, the duration of flaming shall not be more than 2 s after the removal of the test flame.
- Maximum destroyed length
- < 50% of the greatest initial length (initial length ≥ 150 mm)
- < 75% of the greatest initial length (initial length < 150 mm)
Toy disguise costumes and toys intended to be worn by a child in play
When tested, toy disguise costumes and toys intended to be worn by a child in play (and parts thereof), shall not exceed 30 mm/s rate of spread of flame or the test specimen shall self-extinguish. In all cases if the rate of spread of flame is between 10 mm/s and 30 mm/s, the appropriate component(s) of the toy and the packaging shall be permanently marked with the following warning:
Warning. Keep away from fire!
Toys intended to be entered by a child
- These toys include toy tents, puppet theatres, wigwams, tepees and play tunnels. When tested, the rate of spread of flame of the test specimen shall not exceed 30 mm/s or the test specimen shall self-extinguish.
- If the test specimen has a rate of spread of flame greater than 20 mm/s, there shall be no flaming debris or molten drips.
- If the material has non-identical surfaces, both sides shall be tested.
- If the rate of spread of flame is between 10 mm/s and 30 mm/s, the appropriate components(s) of the toy and the packaging shall be permanently marked with the following warning:
Warning. Keep away from fire!
When tested, the rate of spread of flame on the surface shall not be more than 30 mm/s or the toy shall be self-extinguishing.